Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A need to post this email I received.

Folks,
Here's an email that was sent to me concerning HHH1. It's a must READ!! Yolanda is talking about a post she saw on the opposition's web site. What the post choose to not include is that state school YYY1 is currently being built and scheduled to open in 2009. Once the school is opened it will help out Miami Killian and Miami Palmetto High in their over crowding. I guess they just made our argument in how important it is to build HHH1.

I am a home owner at Corsica Estates and my daughter currently attends Norma Butler Bossard. I've been well aware of the new high school way before it even went to court to obtain the land under Eminent Domain. I was also highly involved in petitioning to assure that Norma Butler and Jose Mas Canosa would be built for our children. Therefore, when I started seeing the signs in my neighborhood to stop the new High School, I was bothered. How could they state that they were not aware? Well how involved are they in there community. Not much because this has been on the facilities web site for well over a year and has come up on several board meetings. I even tracked on the clerk of courts web site. Please let me know how I could be of assistance for my neighbors and I am willing to do what ever it takes to assure that the school is built, which I believe will be. I already wrote a letter to every school board member and to the commissioner of education and governor.

All schools in Dade County have been and continue to be built within communities so what makes there’s better than others nothing at all. Our children are not criminals and on there web-site they have a picture of Ron Ehman Park with cars lined up and quoting Joe Fernandez the Park Manager. Well I personally know Joe as for my children attend summer camp there and I think they use his words and turned them around to there advantage. I know first hand the hardship of having to commute my child to school everyday. My son is a freshman at Southridge and instead of having him catch the bus at 6:10 I take him every morning and it is not easy.


Regards,

Yolanda

2 comments:

Caro said...

I am one of people that was not aware of the new high school location and I live just a few blocks away. The property was a farm and then a few years ago a sign was installed on the corner advertising estate homes coming soon starting in the 500's. We have lived here for 20 years and had to send our kids to out of area schools because Jack Gordon, Richmond Middle and Southridge were all over crowded. My point is that the majority of the community directly surrounding the proposed site of HHH1 have already completed that stage in their lives , most of us have college age children. I understand that there is a need. However we did not create that need. I believe the school should be built closer to the hundreds of new homes further to the north of the proposed site. You all were well aware that there were no high schools in the area when you bought your new homes in Corsica and the surrounding neighborhoods. The school should be built within one of these new neighborhoods, not an established one.

I do have a few suggestions as to much better locations. There is a vacant lot for sale just south of Lexus of West Kendall, this location is right off a major street with a traffic light. There is also a lovely parcel of land on 136 Street just east of Lexus. I'm sure if those 2 properties are not willing to sell then the county can just take them. Perhaps someone could look into it.

I have just one more suggestion. Maybe the school board could sit down with the county planners and the developers and decide where to put the new schools during the planning stages of these mega developments. I'm sure it's done successfully that way in other cities across America.

In regards to that laughable comment about the hardship of driving your kid to school, please spare me. I drove my child to the Grove, my friend took her daughter to New World in downtown Miami and my neighbor drove to Arvida Middle for one child and Sunset High for the other child everyday for 4 years.

educator said...

To my neighbors,
I strongly support your wish and our need for a neighborhood high school for our children. Before you work to support HHH1, I would suggest that you ask the school board if our children will attend HHH1. If you persist, you will be told that who attends HHH1 will be determined by the Attendance Boundary Committee, which will assign attendance roughly one year before HHH1 opens. You can participate in these discussions. However, the school board will not comment if our children will attend this school. School board documents dated last Sept clearly indicate that HHH1 is being constructed to alleviate overcrowding at Valera and Sunset High Schools, and that these two schools will contribute a total of 1900 students to HHH1. Since the school board and the archetect have said that the design capacity of HHH1 is 2000 students, this does not leave many seats for our children. School board docments from Sept 2007 also indicate that the "overflow" from Southridge, where many of our children go, will be assigned to new high school TTT, which will be located in Homestead. Instead of fighting to locate HHH1 in our neighborhood for children from Varela and Sunset, why don't we fight to get a high school for our children?